FAQ: Graduate Research Support Fellowships

Who is eligible to apply?

Applicants must expect to be advanced to candidacy by the beginning of the fellowship term. Applicants for this fellowship are not eligible to apply for the OHC Graduate Dissertation Fellowship during the same academic year.

I’m not sure if my project is “humanistic.”

First, check with your advisor. If you still are not sure, contact Jena Turner or Paul Peppis and provide a brief description of your project or a copy of your Abstract.

What do I do if my dissertation advisor is out of the country? Can I get an extension?

No late applications will be accepted, and no extensions are possible.  However, if your dissertation advisor is unavailable to sign in person in time for you to submit your application by the deadline, we will accept temporary approval by e-mail if it is received on or before the regular deadline.  A hard copy of the fellowship proposal cover sheet with actual signature(s) must be submitted to the OHC as soon thereafter as possible.  If an acting dean/department head or other signatory designee has been appointed, their signature will be accepted in lieu of that of your dean or department head. The advisor’s letter of support can be submitted electronically, and is due by the application deadline.

Can I see a copy of a successful application from a previous year?

We have a selection of successful applications that you may view at the Oregon Humanities Center. Please contact Melissa Gustafson at (541) 346-3934 to make an appointment. You will not be permitted to make copies or remove the application samples from the OHC.

Will this award affect my financial aid package?

Maybe. Federal regulations require students to notify the Financial Aid Office as soon as they know that they will receive any educational resources so that necessary revisions to their financial aid package can be made.  Such resources include a GTF position, fellowship, scholarship, or other type of monetary award. Because receiving additional financial resources may reduce your financial aid reward, you should contact the Financial Aid Office prior to applying for this fellowship or other type of support.  Not all awards will reduce your financial aid eligibility, but it is your responsibility to discuss your own situation with the Financial Aid Office. The OHC will provide recipients and the Financial Aid Office with supporting documents should your financial aid eligibility be in question. You must contact http://financialaid.uoregon.edu/Reporting_Other_Resources or (541) 346-3221 for more information.

I don’t see my question here.  Who should I contact?

Contact Jena Turner, (541) 346-1001.